Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Shabby Chic Shelving Tutorial

I've heard other miniature artists talk about how they use graph paper to make their designs and they won me over once I tried it for myself. Since I can't ever seem to cut on a straight line, using paper that takes care of that for me sounded perfect! The fence that I turned into shabby shelving in my Orange Blossom was created using the technique below.

First, I got out my paper, double sided tape and some wonderful shaped cocktail sticks that I once found in a dollar store. I then drew the curve for the top of the fence section on my paper. since the graph paper is marked in quarter inch increments, I could guarantee I was making it the exact size I wanted. I also used those marks to evenly space the fence posts. Two strips of double sided tape across that paper made sure everything stayed just how I placed it!
I wasn't worried about the bottom of each post not lining up; I simply drew a line using the graph paper as a guideline. I waited to cut the posts until after gluing the cross pieces but that was a mistake! So awkward to cut. Next time I will cut first and glue second. Below you can see that I created different size sections because originally they were to be fence sections for a particular area. I like them so much better for shabby chic shelving!
With a little paint and weathering, the were just right! Not bad for cocktail sticks, double stick tape, and a sheet of graph paper. :)

9 comments:

  1. Te ha quedado fantastico¡¡¡ Gracias por compartirlo.Besos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever !! I love it and the idea! Thanks a lot, Rosanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Una idea brillante. Gracias por este truco.
    Besos Clara

    ReplyDelete
  4. ¡Me encanta!!! ¡Gracias por el tutorial!!!
    Saludos
    Flor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this tutorial: you make beautiful things and have a suggestion to you is a great privilege :-)
    Mini hugs, Flora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, that room looks amazing. Love your shelf, will have to watch out for cocktail sticks, I love the shape of them. Thank you for showing us. I have some graph paper but haven't used it yet. Perhaps it would help me do straight lines too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. fantastic blogs, I love your work it is fantastic you have a beautiful small house

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be a frequent visitor now that I have found you. You have great ideas. Wonderful site. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...